Thursday, June 21, 2012

In My Life 'Two Tunics'

Well hello, how is your week going, I'm loving the sunshine, taking every opportunity to pop outside to enjoy a cup of tea and a play with Rowan in my back garden.  I hope the weather over in your hood is being kind to you.

Today I actually talked myself into taking some pics of me wearing the tunics I made using the 
'School House Tunic' pattern, here.  I rated the pattern easy with very clear instructions to follow.   
The only element I changed, is the deep open neck line, I added a panel, so I don't have to wear a singlet top under the tunic.  I'm not one for clothes fitting snug on my body, I like to feel comfortable with loose style clothing, especially the days I have Rowan, all that bending, sitting and crawling around on the floor.  Man I just want to be dressed for success, ah! I mean for playing around. So here is me and Rowan in my dining room, you can see I have had blogging business to do as Rowan is still running around in his baggy underwear mid dress!  

This is the dress version I made to wear with tights and boots.  Rowan wearing a baggy Bonds onsie, loves straws, we keep a box of them in the bottom drawer and he happily takes them out one at a time and does what ever he does with them.  

This is the long top version looks great with tight jeans.....I had to do a quick change.  Luckily Rowan was still content playing the straw game whilst I continued trying to get flattering shots of myself.

.......and this is one I prepared earlier (Instagram version), not ironed.


 I don't really know how I looked in the tunic to be perfectly honest, as nobody in my family is ever really going to tell me the truth about looking fat in an outfit!  Though I wish for once somebody would say to me "Oh you look really thin in that" and that would be nice.   
Tunics are easy to wear and can be styled for different looks.   The bodice is quite structured which gives you a nice bust profile, the two tucks from the bodice fall nicely to cover any little naughty snacks you've been tucking away.   If you are thinking of making yourself a tunic I  recommend you give this pattern a try and hey, if you get stuck you can always bundle it up in a post bag and send it on over to me and I'll finish it for you.  

 I can't get enough of these beautifully illustrated Japanese pattern books, this one I recently purchased for a girl friend who I am helping to navigate around the sewing machine, she loved it, and her wardrobe is expanding by the week.  If you are a coffee table book lover like me I am now a member of Fishpond and online book, toy and music store with extremely good prices and FREE delivery!  

Happy sewing!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love both of those tunics. Just gorgeous and you style them up beautifully. And how lovely is that beautiful mop of hair on little Rowan - what a sweetie! Sienna loves her straws too. I even carry a couple in my bag for emergency meltdowns (haven't had one yet but I feel better knowing they are there!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it with the straws, they are on the top of our shopping list each week. Tunics are the go for mums and nans on the go! I am on the look our for other bits of bright fabric to make a couple more. xx

      Delete
  2. Ahh it looks gorgeous! I am determined to have a go at tunic making (despite making 4 pairs of mittens for claud none of which fit and all of which were misshapen and got flung in the bin) and am looking for a pattern (with suitable breastfeeding access). The 3/4 length sleeves and body make you look all long and leggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long and Leggy! Goodness me could I go around thinking I looked like Elle Macpherson even for just 30 seconds..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some fabric to make something for myself a while ago and have been ummming and ahhing about what to make. I DESPERATELY need some new tops, so you may have just persuaded me that a tunic is the way to go- wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These tunics are really easy to run up and so easy to wear, you could fill your wardrobe with them, the thing I love most about tunics is wearing them with jeans, they look smashing!

      Delete
  5. I am nuts for this tunic. I love tunics. I think they look so stylish while allowing me to let my gut hang freely. Both nice qualities. You look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, its funny how you don't really see a flattering side of yourself in outfits. I have been rocking the tunics for a while now and I think they are well under rated. So easy to wear, easy to style and made for comfort

      Delete
  6. Intriguing. My little one loves straws as well.... Love the tunic, the cut is gorgeous and the fabric is divine! Happy to meet you for coffee whenever necessary and assure you that you look super slim in a tunic!!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, here is a new cafe a Dulwich Hill staion called PS Cafe, we could meet here, or walk on might be bee at my house with all the toys. I have an awesome coffee machine I also do tea. How about afer he school holidays.

      Delete
  7. Roberta I love tunics and would love to learn to sew some day. It looks great on you.
    I love loose items with a bohemian feel to them.
    New follower from NY! Thanks for stopping by my blog, so glad I found yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alma I am so happy h you pop on by. I am off o NYC on he 4h July, I can' wait, I love i so much. I will definaely be spending time over in Brooklyn especially Robera's Pizza resaurant. I always favour he boho look and one label in paricular is 'Johnny Was' out LA. See you soon.

      Delete
  8. Love the tunics, they look fantastic! And love Rowan with his straws, such a good idea, I might steal it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love your tunic! a style i like to live in in summer.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your tunic...such a cute outfit! And your dining room is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...